Sunday, August 7, 2011

Step Two: War!!

   So we started stacking the wood into piles labeled "good" and "bad." Some we moved completely out of the barn and others we burned. In the picture to the right you can see where I decided to make Blondie's stall. It's the only part of the barn with a high enough ceiling. We used a ladder to get to the weeds growing through cracks at the ceiling. We're planning on spraying weed killer around the inside and outside perimeter of the barn tomorrow. I have to put a board across the bottom of each window for safety measures. One window (not shown) already has a board.The barn has electricity so I also need to make sure no wires are sticking out or any light bulbs are exposed.  Nails also have to be removed from the ceiling and walls. There are sliding doors for entering and exiting the barn which will be connected to the stall. I'm planning on getting metal, panel type gates to block off the doors on the inside.
     I'm going to make some sketches tomorrow of how I want the stall to look. I've already got tons of ideas!! I'm using a couple horse books as resources for sizing and measurements. Her stall will be bigger than 12 X 12 which is GREAT, but it also provides me with an opportunity to convert it into 2 smaller stalls when necessary. But those details will come later. Right now I'm at war with the almost 50-60 year old nails sticking out of the walls. I already stepped on one, which went through my shoe and punctured my foot. If I wasn't overdue for a tetanus shot I wouldn't be so worried right now. I also ruined my recently acquired hammer. I don't know what kind of nails they used back in the day, but they are some pretty stubborn, dangerous, and strong nails!! I'm not going down without a fight though. I cleaned out my wound, wrapped it, and put on my pair of thick bottomed, steel toed shoes. It's war!!

No comments:

Post a Comment